Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stars!

I draw your attention to this map, from the project rho star-mapping site.  It is a subset of this map, showing only stars similar enough to our own to be good candidates for Earth-like planets.  Both push out to 50ly.  I think this is a good start point.  We want to emphasize the habitable systems and allow the small red dwarfs be significant only for compelling strategic reasons -- that will punch out the limits of the map, since as we go out to 50ly there are probably a lot of dim stars missed.

I also need to establish a frontier zone so that "known space" has an "outside" that is within the scope of the data we have.  And most of all, I have to find a way to present the data that works and is easy to visualize and work with.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Les

    Error messages for both to this map and of this map

    You don't have permission to access /HabHYG50lyHab.gif on this server.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious; I am able to reach them but it may be a link-through thing. The page to link to them from is:
    http://www.projectrho.com/smap12.html#winch

    They are the last 2 that start "HabHyg", just before the Interstellar Empire Framework section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gets me to them. Thanks
    I actually think I've been here before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the about the best "sf support" website anywhere bar none.

    ReplyDelete