Monday, June 27, 2011

Manually organizing the database

I am learning a lot from using SQL to interpret the strings in which spectral information is provided.  I have, in fact, interpreted spectral class (thats the OBAFGKM part) on more than three-quarters the stars, and luminosity class (the sd/Ia-VII part) on more than a third.

I am now asking myself if I want to take what I have learned and go back a couple of steps to clean up some details and to code the thing as a single program.  I think I do.  There is no deadline or business case standing in the way of a high-quality result and I will have to live with this for a while.  The thing to keep track of is that I need to get to system mass data so that I can plot transit routes between the interesting stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment